Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The value of humanities as a discipline

Uber-smart faculty-rockstar Stanley Fish discusses the value of the discipline of the humanities on his blog this week:

http://fish.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/the-uses-of-the-humanities-part-two/

I agree with much of his argument. The industries that have grown around key literary and historical figures serve little to our society at-large. (Really, who needs a "Reagan" scholar?) However, I believe the true benefit of studies in the humanities is cultural enrichment. My abilities to listen and contribute to conversations are enhanced by knowing a little about many things. I can ask questions that allow others to enlighten me and introduce me to new works, new artists, new ideas.

How has studying the humanities benefitted you?

No comments: