Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Commercial Parodies

Ahh, rankings. Easy to do, gives people something to talk about. Nerve has come up with the 50 greatest commercial parodies of all time.

Most have a brief analysis of why the commercial "works" -- sometimes its the performance (lots of Will Farrell and Phil Hartman), sometimes its the the comment the parody makes on a genre of advertising.

Of course, I have beefs: "Robot Insurance" is funny, but #3? "Colon Blow" (#19) and "Happy Fun Ball" (#13) don't make the top ten? After, the makers of Happy Fun Ball warn, "Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball." And there is now a product, Colon Blow. Its product information frightens me. The biggest travesty may be "Oops I Crapped My Pants" at #33. Why do I stick up for Oops I Crapped My Pants? Because "I'm wearing them...and I just did."

Hints for #2 and #1: One is fishy, the other is the breakfast of champions.

No comments: